What is PRINCE2® ?
The PRINCE2 methodology is a structured project management method that guides individuals and organizations through the essentials for running a successful project, regardless of type or scale. It provides a “How To” guide to manage effective projects. Over 1 million PRINCE2 exams have been taken across the world.
PRINCE2 also enables organizations to clearly define project roles and responsibilities and integrate these with job roles, personal reviews, objectives and planning and management systems such as the balanced scorecard.
PRINCE2 is compatible with and improves the results produced for all other project management certifications, including PMP®.
Benefits for organizations:
PRINCE2 can help you focus and deliver value to your organization. Some of the benefits include:
- Improving cost control through coordination of activities and teams using tried and tested processes
- Improving effectiveness through fact-based decision-making using defined and relevant metrics
- Delivering reliably and helping deliver to budget, quality and time specifications, while mitigating risks and identifying opportunities
- Supporting cross-functional work.
PRINCE2 Certification and Training
The PRINCE2 certification provides varying levels, of which the two most popular are Foundation and Practitioner. These certifications are aimed at Project Managers and all those who are involved in planning and delivering projects. All courses take place in the 12th floor training rooms of the Desmarais building located on the University of Ottawa campus.
See our PRINCE2 certification and training section below to find out more
|PRINCE2® Foundation and Practitioner Certification (or Re-Certification)||5 Days|
|PRINCE2® for PMP®||5 Days|
|PRINCE2® Foundation||3 Days|
|PRINCE2® Practitioner (or Re-Certification)||2 Days|
Why PRINCE2 and PMBOK?
There is a lot of value in project managers holding both a PRINCE2 and PMP certificate. Below we’ve listed just some of the main reasons why every Project Manager should have both:
- PRINCE2 is the how, who and when to PMBOK’s what and why…here are a few examples:
- In PRINCE2 the Business Case is a more dynamic feature as it’s incorporated throughout the project to ensure continual business justification
- PRINCE2 clearly defines roles and responsibilities across the whole project and emphasizes the participation of internal customers and the people doing the work
- PMBOK offers much more focus on the human side of projects and conflict management which is not covered in PRINCE2.
- PRINCE2 has no pre-requisite (not even professional experience!). That way before you begin to manage that first project you can learn how to. The addition benefit is that you don’t need to unlearn bad habits that were picked up while the project manager acquired experience.
- Understanding both PRINCE2 and the PMBOK guide means that project managers can speak the same language globally leading to more effective communication.
- Having knowledge of both saves busy project managers valuable time; while the PMBOK guide gives practitioners all the tools and techniques they need, PRINCE2 gives project managers an easily repeatable (but also tailorable) method that can be applied to every project they run.
*PRINCE2 is a registered trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of Axelos Limited. All rights reserved.
PMI is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
PRINCE2® Certification Exam
What if I’m already a PMP?
We recognize the prior learning and achievements of individuals who hold a PMP certification, allowing them to progress directly to PRINCE2 Practitioner level without needing to take the PRINCE2 Foundation certification. This is because we understand and appreciate that PMP holders are experienced individuals for which the Foundation level may not be appropriate. Click here to visit the PRINCE2® for Project Management Professionals (PMP)® course page!
All PRINCE2 Practitioners should be re-registered within three to five calendar years of their original certification. This re-registration comprises a one-hour examination set at the same standard as the Practitioner examination. The re-registration certification enables you to demonstrate your commitment to continuing professional development and the currency of your knowledge of PRINCE2 to employers, peers and colleagues.
What About Exams?
PRINCE2 Foundation Exam
This is your first PRINCE2 exam designed to test your knowledge and understanding of PRINCE2:
- 60 multiple choice questions with 1 mark for each question
- Closed book exam
- 1 hour duration
- 55% needed to pass so a score of 33 / 60 is required
PRINCE2 Practitioner Exam
Your second PRINCE2 exam tests your ability to apply the PRINCE2 methodology with a scenario. A Foundation exam pass is required before you can take the PRINCE2 Practitioner exam:
- 68 multiple choice questions
- Open book exam, but only the official PRINCE2 manual can be used
- 2.5 hours duration
- 55% needed to pass so a score of 38 / 68 is required
Your Foundation exam is taken on Wednesday afternoon. Your Practitioner exam is taken on Friday.
We are Committed to Help You Succeed!
We at the Professional Development Institute strive to ensure that you will be successful in your PRINCE2® certification exam after training with the PRINCE2® Foundation and Practitioner. However, if you are unsuccessful on the exam we will gladly offer you the opportunity to retake a different paper in a timely fashion. For more details, please consult our terms and conditions.