The OrKidstra Youth Music Program is a program for social development music that was inspired by El Sistema, the remarkable Venezuelan social music experiment that has proven to the world that music can be an agent of social change. With this passionate belief in the transformative power of music, the OrKidstra program began in 2007 with 27 children. Now with over 650 students aged 5 to 18, from 42 cultural and linguistic backgrounds, OrKidstra has become much more than a music program: It is a way to empower kids and build music through the universal language of music.
OrKidstra has partnered with uOttawa since 2008 and offers a 3-credit practicum, MUS4910, known as the Experiential Teaching Artist Practicum. OrKidstra also offers microprogram workshops, which provide more traditional lecture-based learning that enables students to work towards becoming a Certified OrKidstra Teaching Artist.
In the microprogram workshops, participants are exposed to the philosophies and pillars of the El Sistema movement and explore how their skills as teachers and as artists intersect. Professional development is fuelled through interactive workshops led by some of OrKidstra’s most experienced teaching artists.
The microprogram workshops provide students with the following:
- High-quality teaching skills that complement the participants’ high level of musicianship and performance ability;
- Tools directed towards developing pedagogy for group teaching and the particular challenges of music program development and teaching in underserved communities;
- An introduction to and entry points into the evolving fields of teaching artistry and community engagement through music;
- A broad overview of the philosophy and history of El Sistema, as it applies to the uniquely Canadian OrKidstra model, and its implications for society and social justice; and
- New concepts to apply to [future] teaching activities and to develop personal community engagement philosophies for their careers.
Email Reminder Date:
Louise Paquette, OrKidstra Violin Director and Teaching Artist.
Donnie Deacon, Violinist/Violist, Music Director Ottawa Youth Orchestra Academy.
Kathryn Cobbler, Violist, Violin and Viola Teaching Artist and Storyteller.
Margaret Tobolowska, OrKidstra Co-Founder, Cellist/Composer, Teaching Artist.
Tina Fedeski, M.S.M., OrKidstra Co-Founder, Executive and Artistic Director.