Beyond Project Management: Harvesting Value from Your Organizational Investments
Why do some investments succeed (CERB) and others fail (Phoenix) despite the application of good project management? What can leaders do to ensure that organizational investments actually produce real value?
Research done by Dr. Gerald Grant (Sprott School of Business) and Robert Collins (experienced high tech executive) over the last 10 years focused on these very questions. The key, they have found, is to have a an absolute focus on the value to be produced rather than focus on the technology that enables it. The details of this work can be found in their book "The Value Imperative: Harvesting Value form your IT Initiatives".
This session provides an overview of their findings that include:
- The Value Cycle - mapping and understanding what value is created by whom for whom,
- The Value Realization Cycle - understanding how value is created by investments from strategy to delivery, and
- The Agricultural Model - a better alternative to organization investments than the rigid engineering model which has failed us so often in the past.
Date: September 09, 2020
Time: 9:00-10:00 am
Where: Live online event (registrants will receive details via email)
This brief session also serves as an overview for the upcoming virtual live online cohort program, starting in Fall 2020 at PDI, Realizing Value from Investments and Projects.
The Value Cycle - mapping and understanding what value is created by whom for whom
The Value Realization Cycle - understanding how value is created by investments from strategy to delivery
The Agricultural Model - a better alternative to organization investments than the rigid engineering model which has failed us so often in the past
- Organizational and function leaders and managers responsible for exploiting new investments and/or technology
- Financial leaders and middle managers seeking to understand the value arising from investments and strategic alignment of projects
- All IT executives and projects leaders
- Auditors looking to identify value arising from past or recent investments/projects
Rob Collins is a technology executive with more than 40 years experience. Rob was Transitional CIO for the City of Ottawa, product line Vice-President and Chief Information Officer at Cognos. He has consulted with organizations throughout North America.
Dr. Gerald Grant is Director of the Centre for Information Technology, Organizations, and People (CITOP) and Professor at the Sprott School of Business, Carleton University. He has consulted for organizations such as the Commonwealth Secretariat in the U.K., the COMNET-IT Foundation in Malta and the Government of Jamaica.